Christmas toy safety inspections: keeping Canberra kids safe

Shane Rattenbury, MLA

Access Canberra has now finished its annual toy inspections at a number of ACT retail outlets to ensure that children’s toys and summer play equipment are safe for Canberra kids this Christmas.

Access Canberra inspectors checked 37 stores across the city which sell children’s toys and aquatic toys as well as baby bath products. Of the checks undertaken, the inspectors found only one pool toy which needed a revision to its safety warning.

Minister for Consumer Affairs Shane Rattenbury said the strong level of compliance was positive but parents should not be complacent when purchasing toys, or in supervising their children when they are playing with toys.

“Loose small parts, flimsy materials prone to degradation or breakage, as well as toys with design flaws which allow batteries to be easily removed by small children are all concerns when it comes to toy safety,” Mr Rattenbury said.

“These issues are checked through proactive inspections which are an important part of Access Canberra’s work in keeping the community safe.

“To be compliant with mandatory standards, toys for children up to 36 months should not have small parts that could come loose and either be swallowed or become lodged anywhere in a child’s mouth or throat.”

Mr Rattenbury also reminded Canberrans of some recent national safety toy recalls, including the Bruin Wiggle Ball (also known as the Giggle Ball). The rubber knobs and plastic toy back can detach, creating a potential choking hazard for children. Consumers can return the ball to a Toys“R”Us store for a full refund.

The VTech Baby Shake and Sing Elephant Rattle and the VTech Baby Pack & Go Travel Mobile have also been recalled.

“I would urge parents to check that recalled toys are not still in use and anyone gifting toys to children to check that the Bruin Wiggle Ball and VTech products are not among the presents waiting under the tree.”

Parents should also be alert to the safe storage and use of lithium button batteries, which are commonly found in electrical devices, remotes and children’s toys.

“Unfortunately these can look like lollies to a child but if they are accidently swallowed they can cause significant digestive tract burns and injury. By storing these batteries out of reach of little hands, we can help keep kids safe this festive season,” Mr Rattenbury said.

Details of recalled toys, how to return them and receive a refund can be found at