The ACT Greens are running a appeal for the children being held in mandatory detention over this holiday season. Human Rights organisations and health practitioners have consistently identified the lack of child-appropriate activities as damaging for children being held in detention. This holiday season we will be collecting gifts for children and their families being held in detention.
You can deliver your gift to the office before December 19th or bring it to the ACT Greens Christmas Party on Dec 13th. Email Sophie T on email@example.com if you need more details.
If you would like to participate, the Department of Immigration and Border Protection has advised that the following gifts are allowed in the detention centres:
- artwork – pencils, marking pens, paints, paintbrushes and drawing pads
- games – UNO, cards, chess sets, backgammon, checkers, quoits, snakes & ladders, ludo, board games
- sporting goods – rubber balls, tennis balls, soccer balls, yoyos
- food – confectionery, tea/ coffee, cakes and baked goods
- household – alarm clocks, blankets
- entertainment – tapes or CDs, DVDs, hand-held computer games, musical instruments
- reading material – books, magazines, puzzles, dictionaries, English grammar books
- clothing – sunglasses, sunhats, t-shirts, shorts, shoes, light scarves, tights
- local and international phone cards
- items for religious observance.
Certain gifts are not able to be accepted into an immigration detention facility. See Items not permitted in an immigration detention facility.
85 Northbourne Ave Turner ACT 2612
Google map and directions