Shane Rattenbury, MLA
The Canberra community is invited to have its say on the establishment of the new Office for Mental Health.
Minister for Mental Health Shane Rattenbury said the online survey was part of a targeted consultation on the new office, which has been underway since October with mental health service consumers, carers and stakeholders in the mental health sector.
“The new Office for Mental Health is a key government priority that has the potential to make real, lasting, positive change for mental health consumers, carers and their families,” Minister Rattenbury said.
“Establishing the Office is an exciting chance for us to hear from the community about what they see as the key challenges facing mental health in the ACT, and how the new Office can address these challenges in the future.
“We want to hear from people who access mental health services and their families and carers.
“We also want to hear from stakeholders and members of the public with experience in the mental health sector, with this feedback crucial to ensuring the Office will be able to drive a better Territory-wide integration of our mental health system,” Minister Rattenbury said.
The online survey will be open until 8February 2018. It asks:
- What are the key challenges facing mental health in the ACT?
- How can a new Office address these challenges?
- Are there specific powers, tasks or roles a new Office should undertake? Any that should be avoided?
- How could a new Office drive better Territory-wide integration of our mental health system?
- If the new Office was to be judged as successful, what would have changed in the ACT in five years’ time?
- What relationship should the new Office have with Government itself as well as with consumers, carers, health professionals, individual government agencies, researchers, others?
As part of the consultation on the Office a Conversation Starter paper was developed to assist stakeholders in providing feedback on what they would like to see from an Office.
For further information on the Conversation Starter and to access the online survey visit www.health.act.gov.au/our-services/mental-health/office-mental-health.